September 21, 2020

"Stateless" lyrics

Except where noted, all lyrics by Lene Lovich (music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; all saxophone lines by Lene Lovich).

"Home"
"Sleeping Beauty"
"Lucky Number"
"Too Tender (To Touch)"
"Say When"
"Writing on the Wall"
"Telepathy"
"Momentary Breakdown"
"I Think We're Alone Now"
"One in 1,000,000"
"Tonight"


"Home"

home is where the heart is, home is so remote, home is just emotion sticking in my throat
let's go to your place [x2]
home is where the heart is, home is so remote, home is just emotion sticking in my throat, home is hard to swallow, home is like a rock, home is good clean living, home is... I forgot
let's go to your place [x4]
home is so suspicious, home is close control, home is "will you miss us?", home is "I don't know..."
let's go to your place [x4]
home is aggravation, home is so much fuss, home is "mind your business", thank you very much
let's go to your place [x4]
I don't wanna go back, I don't wanna go back, I don't wanna go back anymore [x6 to fade]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Sleeping Beauty"

take me, make me, mould me, fold me, shape my body, you can improve me, rebuild a new me, heat up or cool me, but don't forget to wake me in time, you know I had a lot on my mind, these tired old eyes await a surprise, I wonder what the future will bring
fix me, mix me, re-arrange me, change my body, make it so pretty they can't resist me, queue up to kiss me, but don't forget to wake me in time, you know I got to be first in line, this sensitive child is changing her style, the ugly duck is starting to smile
[chorus] open up your eyes, you sleeping beauties must arise, you're shaping up just fine, so climb inside a brand new life
this twilight seems like an eternity, the changes I go through are hurting me, do we become what we deserve to be?
[chorus x2]*

(* original mix: chorus x4)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Lucky Number"

I never used to cry 'cause I was all alone, for me, myself and I is all I've ever known, I never felt the need to have a hand to hold, in everything I do I take complete control, that's where I'm coming from, my lucky number's one
I've everything I need to keep me satisfied, there's nothing you can do to make me change my mind, I'm having so much fun, my lucky number's one
ah ooh ah ooh, I, I, I-yI-yI*
I now detect an alien vibration here, there's something in the air besides the atmosphere, the object of the action is becoming clear, an imminent attack upon my heart I fear, the evidence is strong, my lucky number's wrong*
ah ooh ah ooh
something tells me my lucky number's gonna be changing soon, something tells me my lucky number's gonna be you
you certainly do have a strange effect on me, I never thought that I could feel the way I feel, now something in your eyes gives me a wild idea, I never want to be apart from you, my dear, I guess it must be true, my lucky number's two
this re-arrangement suits me, now I must confess the number one was dull and number two is best, I wanna stay with you, my lucky number's two
ah ooh ah ooh
(number two [x5])

(* not on original recording (released on b-side of "I Think We're Alone Now" single))

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Too Tender (To Touch)"

[chorus] too tender to touch, too fragile to lust, these misty eyes are just enough, a little sigh to guide the way, we don't need so very much
you and I together now, forever after only us, a staring smile, a frozen face, a photograph of lasting love that never knew a nicer place than tucked inside my pillowcase
[chorus]
my desire, all I need, romance until the end of time, the taste of love is bittersweet, my hungry heart is satisfied, to give myself to only you and be nobody else's fool
[chorus x2]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Say When"

Music and lyrics by Jimmie O'Neill.

well I'm all revved up and ready baby, you're a man, I'm a lady, better turn your eyes from this body of mine, I don't want you to be ahead of our time
[chorus] I'll say when to stop, hey I call the shots baby, I say when, say when [x2]
well you look plenty of good to me, yeah you got plenty of energy, and I know that you're big and strong, but I'll be the boss, so don't go wrong
[chorus]
one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten
well I'm all revved up and ready baby, baby baby baby baby*, you're a man, I'm a lady, lady lady lady lady*, better turn your eyes from this body of mine, mine mine mine mine*, I don't want you to be ahead of our time, time time time time*
[chorus]
un, deux, trois, quat', cinq, sechs, sieben, acht, neun, zehn

(* no repeats on original mix)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Writing on the Wall"

the writing's on the subway wall, I'm sorry that I never called, I never phoned or wrote to you, it's silly 'cause I wanted to, oh yes, the subway wall sadly seems to say it all, it's my mistake, I know that now, a bit too late to cry
you're somewhere else with someone else, and here am I, all by myself, an empty wall, an empty me, I'll write the things that should've been
I'll tell the world how much I care, and miss the one that isn't there
oh, the writing on the wall [x4]
the writing's on the subway wall, and give or take a year or so someone will come and rub it out, delete the words that hurt my heart, oh yes, there will remain a little hurt, a little stain, the memory can still be read upon the wall inside my head
oh, the writing on the wall, (write on!), oh, the writing on the wall [x4 to fade]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Telepathy"

Music and lyrics by Jimmie O'Neill.

I know what you done, I saw you in my crystal, I saw you making love, I'm gonna get my pistol
telepathy's gonna be the death of me [x2]
I know what you done, before you even do it, don't tell me your story, I can see through it
telepathy's gonna be the death of me [x2]
love is really mutual trust, respect and understanding is a must, but my baby's mind is like a TV and everything I see makes a fool of me
I know what you done, yeah, you think I don't know, you been playing round with Mrs So-and-So
telepathy's gonna be the death of me [x2]
oh, those little lies right behind your eyes, I don't need no spies, with my ESP you're not fooling me, but oh, the jealousy
love is really mutual trust, respect and understanding is a must, but my baby's mind is like a TV, and everything I see makes a fool of me
I know what you've done, I saw you in my crystal, I saw you making love, I'm gonna get my pistol
telepathy's gonna be the death of me [x4]
telepathy [x3]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Momentary Breakdown"

two strangers meet on a crowded street, eye to eye and their hearts skip a beat, within their minds they don't know what to say, so they just smile and go their separate ways
it's only a momentary breakdown, only a momentary breakdown
but as they walk they feel a glow inside, a blinding light invades their sterile lives, and suddenly their world begins to spin, they can't suppress the feelings deep within
it's more than a momentary breakdown, more than a momentary breakdown
and now the circuit is complete, at last there's someone just like me, I know that we were meant to be in everlasting harmony
so silently the crowd began to move, one by one 'til there was only two, and darkness fell upon the rebel pair, they close their eyes and there is no-one there

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"I Think We're Alone Now"

Music and lyrics by Ritchie Cordell.

"children behave", that's what they say when we're together, and "watch how you play", they don't understand and so we're
running just as fast as we can, holding on to one another's hand, trying to get away into the night and then you put your arms around me and we tumble to the ground and then you say
[chorus] I think we're alone now, there doesn't seem to be anyone around, I think we're alone now, the beating of our hearts is the only sound
look at the way we got to hide what we're doing, 'cause what would they say if they ever knew and so we're
running just as fast as we can, holding on to one another's hand, trying to get away into the night and then you put your arms around me and we tumble to the ground and then you say
[chorus]
I think we're alone now (alone now), there doesn't seem to be anyone around, I think we're alone now (alone now), the beating of our hearts is the only sound [x3]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"One in a 1,000,000"

[chorus] there's just one in a million people who can make me feel so fine, there's just one in a million people who can fascinate my mind, there's just one in a million people who can wind me up inside, there's just one in a million people who can do it every time
tried to find a right connection, tried to find the one for me, I was looking for perfection, they could never guarantee, few of them could fit my plan, I could count them on my hand
[chorus]
stop and think about statistics, chances are we'd never meet, still I lived in hope that one day I would find the missing link, you're the one I've waited for, you're the one I can't ignore
[chorus]
we have something very special, we have something quite unique, it's a mutual vibration, we don't even have to speak, shh, now that I have found the best, how can I control myself?
[chorus]
oh, one in a million people who can make me feel so fine, there's just one in a million people who can fascinate my mind, there's just one in a million people who can wind me up inside, there's just one in a million people who can do it, do it, do it, do it, do it every time

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Tonight"

Music and lyrics by Nick Lowe; lyrics slightly adapted by Lene Lovich.

what a fabulous night, look at the moon and stars all shining bright, it's a wonderful night alright, oh it's so heavenly, I could almost believe you could fall in love with me tonight
there's a place that I know, a secret place where I sometimes go, if you wanna know where we'll go there, so don't hesitate, 'cause although it ain't late we still can't afford to wait
[chorus] tonight (tonight) there will be no sorrow, tonight (tonight) don't think about tomorrow, tonight we'll do what must be done, so we won't be the lonely ones, tonight (tonight) how can we fail to fall, tonight (tonight) is really magical, tonight we're just a boy and girl, the only people in the world
tonight
oh well, [chorus x3 to fade]

(original mix: no background vocals on first chorus)










2 comments:

  1. so Josh, are we ever going to hear those unreleased versions of I Think We're Alone Now in other languages? Also, do we know if there an actual recording made of Lene singing "Walk Like An Egyptian"? Would also like to see that USA copy of Stateless with the red coloring in the black vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those unreleased recordings of "I Think We're Alone Now" are German and Italian. I have them on tape (poor sound quality) and will upload them. I can also do a scan of that coloured vinyl US edition of "Stateless" (I don't know if it was pressed in very small quanity or if mine is the only copy that was ever pressed). These things will take some time because I need to get hold of the technical gear first. I also have the four songs from "March" Lene has recorded with Mike Thorne in a first attempt to record the album. Lene has recorded a demo of "Walk Like an Egyptian" after the writer of the song had given her the original demo (it likely happened while she was recording with Mike Thorne in New York; unconfirmed though), which was sung by Marti Jones (this is on Youtube). I hope that Lene's demo recording will emerge someday.

    ReplyDelete