September 21, 2020

"Flex" lyrics

Except where noted, all lyrics by Lene Lovich (music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; all saxophone lines by Lene Lovich).

"Bird Song"
"What Will I Do Without You"
"Angels"
"The Night"
"You Can't Kill Me"
"Egghead"
"Wonderful One"
"Monkey Talk"
"Joan"
"The Freeze"


"Bird Song"

a little bird told me you were untrue, even though I had faith in you, I believed the lying words of the sly little bird
so with the bird one day you flew away, I woke up too late, you had gone, fading on with the song of the hurting little bird
[chorus] still I watch the sky, still I wonder why, still I hope that I can carry on, if I can be strong, if you hear my song, you'll know that it was wrong to say goodbye
such a cold bird, so hard, captured your heart, does it matter I am falling apart? breaking fast as the flesh of a dead little bird
[chorus x2]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"What Will I Do Without You"

Music and lyrics by Judge Smith.

I take disasters in my stride, they don't upset me, and those that mean me harm are sorry that they met me
[chorus] but what will I do without you, what will I, what will I do without you, hey, what will I do without you, what will I, what will I do without you, do without you?
if time and tide and life conspire to defeat me, I smile and carry on, I never let them beat me
[chorus]
and if my seven senses one by one should leave me, in the silent darkness I would be alright, believe me
[chorus]
if that dark angel raises bony hands to clutch me, I will not fear his sting if he decides to touch me
[chorus], oh no, but what will I without you, what will I, what will I do without you [x2], hey, what will I do without you, what will I, what will I do without you?

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Angels"

[chorus] the angels are watching over me constantly they say, the angels are always close to me in every game I play, and if I win or lose, I know they'll see me through, the angels watch my every move
(what?)
confused and lost like there's no way out 'til I see a light shining from above, so I raise my head to salute the sky and I feel that light take my spirit high
[chorus]
I could close my mind to a lot of things, but tonight's a night for remembering, there's a place for me on the other side when they call my name for that final ride
[chorus]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"The Night"

Music by Bob Gaudio; lyrics by Al Ruzicka, slightly adapted by Lene Lovich.

beware of their promise, believe what I say, before I go forever, be sure of what you say
so they paint a pretty picture, and they tell you that they need you, and they cover you with flowers, and they always keep you dreaming, they always keep you dreaming you won't have a lonely hour, if the day could last forever you might like your ivory tower
but the night begins to turn your head around and you know you're going to lose more than you found, yes, the night begins to turn head around, around
beware of their promise, believe what I say, before I, I go forever, be sure of what you say
for the words may come too easy if you don't believe I'm leaving, and goodbye may come too quickly if you really think they love you, if you really thought they loved you, you would give your love so sweetly, if the day could last forever you might fall in love completely
but the night begins to turn your head around and you know you're going to lose more than you found, yes, the night begins to turn head around, around
but the night begins to turn your head around and you know you're going to lose more than you found, yes, the night begins to turn head around

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"You Can't Kill Me"

Music and lyrics by Judge Smith.

you can't kill me [x4], you can blow me up with an atom bomb, but I'll be right back and it won't take long
I can't kill you [x4], if I shoot you down as a mean old man, you'll become a little baby in Japan, mou ichido
you can't kill me [x3]
the driver of a flesh machine is what you really are (really bopshoowah*), and you can't stop a driver just by smashing up his car
we can't kill we [x4], since we'll both be here again (dies irae*), we might as well try being friends, we cant kill we
(gobbledygook part, and "la 'illaha 'illallah Muhammad rasulu-llah" ("There is no god but God, and Muhammed is the messenger of God."))

(* words hardly discernible but they are correct, since Lene has written down these lyrics for the booklet of a 2001 Japanese CD re-release)

("mou ichido" (already there in Judge Smith's original demo recording): Japanese for "once again", "one more time";
"bopshoowah": ??? (probably some sort of in-joke);
"dies irae" (Latin for "day of wrath"): title of a Judge Smith song, added by Lene as a reference to him;
final part of the song: mixture of gobbledygook (the same words are already there in Judge Smith's original demo recording) and quote from the Quran (added by Lene; meaning: any kind of religious faith that leads to nowhere))

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Egghead"

big wheels turning in my head oh, growing up is a deadly business, my head was light and airy, now my head is heavy as lead
getting older night and day, dear, wonder if we'll ever make it, I feel so insecure but my mind is activated
[chorus] counting fingers, don't be slow, paper heroes, we must know, looking smarter every day, ay egghead ayayay
idea eating intellect oh, can you hope to make the distance? I thought I knew quite a lot, but what an uphill climate this is
egghead [x4]
[chorus]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Wonderful One"

wonderful one, who are you, so perfect and precious to me, beauty in body and soul, all that I wish I could be
what do you say, time slips away, I am just floating from nowhere to nowhere it seems, hold back the pain, try to explain, you are the light in the/my* darkness, the light that I need
life is a struggle for one, make it double and two can survive, lean on me lovely, my shoulder is strong as my feeling inside
what do you say, time slips away, I am devoted and totally programmed to please, hold back the pain, try to explain, you are the reason for all this emotion I feel
[chorus] wonderful one, you're the song I sing, here is the home where my heart belongs
fate is unkind and at times we seem to be all out of place, yesterday's image has passed, but yet we may still find a trace
what do you say, time slips away, I am still hoping to unlock/open* the door to my dreams, hold back the pain, try to explain, you are the key to that ultimate answer I seek/you must believe me that moment of freedom is here*
[chorus x4]

(* alternative lyrics partly used for live performances)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Monkey Talk"

monkey see, monkey do, monkey want to talk to you, monkey got a lot to say, monkey must communicate
day is night, night is day, everything is cross-connected, it's a crazy cuckoo race, I am almost glad it's ending, men and monkeys all are we, swinging through eternity
monkey see, monkey do, monkey want to talk to you, monkey got a lot to say, monkey must communicate
played so hard* all the way, broken bodies soon will mend, there's no need for you to cry, this is just a game, my friend, men and monkeys all are we, swinging through eternity
[chorus] oh when the stars come tumbling down and we find our feet once more upon the ground, there's no time to mess around, oh there's such a lot to do, me and you
men and monkeys all are we, swinging through eternity
[chorus x2]

(* "live so hard" on first version (released on "Can't Start Dancin'" promo sampler album))

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Joan"

Joan, are you listening to my voice, you can't escape, you have no choice, it's just as real as anything said outside your head, the voice inside you bites your mind, you can't ignore the words this time are twice as loud as the jealous crowd that makes you cry
[chorus] like Joan of Arc you must be brave and listen to your heart, imagination is essential to creative art, so look into your mind and use what you may find, the answer lies behind your eyes, it's not that far
(Maria, Maria)
Joan, it appears you've seen the light, you must allow a light to shine, ignore the normal boundary lines that keep you tied, the world is full of hate and fear, you must expect to shed some tears, but precious are the eyes that see the new ideas
[chorus]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"The Freeze"

the icicles are forming in our eyes as we go, as we go, the lucky ducks are waving us goodbye, what a show, as we go
don't forget your name or the place from which you came, and the rest who still remain below
the best of us are taken by surprise, even so, even so, we can't avoid the ultimate device, what a blow, even so
high and higher, how far do we go? we can't expect to always see the sun shine, frozen, silent, waiting in the cold, this is the longest night of all
the instruments are beating with a sigh, yes, we know, yes, we know, it's time to close the door and say good night, time to go, yes, we know
all is cold tonight but the stars are shining bright, and one day we'll see the light I know
we can't expect to always see the sun shine, this is the longest night of all










No comments:

Post a Comment