September 21, 2020

"No Man's Land" lyrics

Except where noted, all lyrics by Lene Lovich (music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; all saxophone and trumpet lines by Lene Lovich).

"It's You, Only You (Mein Schmerz)" - album mix; single mix
"Blue Hotel"
"Faces"
"Walking Low"
"Special Star"
"Sister Video"
"Maria"
"Savages" - album version; EP version
"Rocky Road"
"No Man's Land" (poem)



"It's You, Only You (Mein Schmerz)"

Music and lyrics by The Meteors (Dutch band); lyrics slightly adapted by Lene Lovich.

album mix

let's say goodbye to our friends of the night, night night night, there's nothing for us here, always been longing for a moment like this, don't want to waste it here
isn't it strange how sure you can be when you find the one you want, isn't it strange how crazy you go when you finally won the one that you want
a moment like this, maybe, baby, we can make it
[chorus] it's you, it's you, only you, well I know what I want and I'm sure I can get it [x2]
I'm losing my heart for you, and I'm prepared to lose my life, mein Schmerz
maybe we can make it, maybe, maybe we can make it
[chorus], it's you
it's you, it's you, only you [x2], but it's you, it's you, only you, well I know what I want and I'm sure I can get it
it's you, (it's you, mein Schmerz), only you, mein Schmerz, only you, it's you, only you, it's you, only you, only only only you, only you, only you, mein Schmerz, it's you, only you only you, it's you it's you it's you it's you


single mix

let's say goodbye to our friends of the night, night night night, there's nothing for us here, always been longing for a moment like this, don't want to waste it here
isn't it strange how sure you can be when you find the one you want? isn't it strange how crazy you go when you finally won the one that you want
a moment like this, maybe, baby, we can make it
[chorus] it's you, it's you, only you, well I know what I want and I'm sure I can get it, but it's you, it's you, only you, well I know what I want and I'm sure I can get it
I'm losing my heart for you, and I'm prepared to lose my life, mein Schmerz
maybe we can make it, maybe, maybe we can make it
it's you, (it's you, mein Schmerz)
maybe we can make it, maybe, maybe we can make it
it's you, it's you, only you [x3], well I know what I want and I'm sure I can get it
it's you, only you, it's you, only you, only only only you, only you, only you, mein Schmerz, it's you, only you, only you

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Blue Hotel"

Music and original lyrics by Mauro Goldsand, with musical adaption by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; lyrics by Lene Lovich (unrelated to original lyrics; see upcoming song details page for original lyrics).
See also "Other lyrics" page for "Blue Hotel" (single recording).

hello!
the sky I scan for you, radiate, encounter, communicate, my world waits for you, anticipate, possibilities await
[chorus] stay awhile at the blue hotel, play awhile at the blue hotel, there's a million things we could do, spend time at the blue hotel, excite your mind, me and you at the Hotel Blue
so secret, so lonely, please relate, why remain so isolate?
[chorus]
hello!
new stranger, come closer, associate, make contact, don't hesitate
[chorus]
ooh, stay awhile at the blue hotel, play awhile at the blue hotel, there's a million things we could do (do), spend time at the blue hotel, excite your mind, me and you at the Hotel Blue

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Faces"

this face is so cold, it chills right to the bone, the message is clear, you want to be alone, my dear, eyes of ice
(face to face), get a move on, let's go, getting nowhere like so, (face to face)
this face is so hot, it almost eats me up, the message is plain, you want to be my friend again, again and again, eyes of fire
laughing like babies, so beautiful are we, smiling radiates soul energy
get a move on, let's go, getting nowhere, oh oh oh oh oh
changing faces facing changes, (face to face [x3]), changing faces, face it!

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Walking Low"

see the pretty bodies fly, closer to the ground am I, the weight of time heavy on my mind
walking low
step by step I realise the sky is also mine, all can shine, share the light
walking low no more

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Special Star"

oh special star, shine down on us like you did before [x3]*
see these dark ages blinding us still, since you've been gone where is the thrill? many false idols, making a kill, easy make, easy take imitation
time separates us, bodies are weak, how can you fight lost in this sleep? silent night stories hard to believe, was it right, was it real, was it only a dream?
shine down on me, happy feeling
don't you remember, bright blazing power burning our minds, one special star, one light forever, one light for all, do you hear, do you hear, do you read me? I'm still waiting
shine down on me, special star, I am standing at the crossroads far too long, and time is running out now, would you shine down? I'll be waiting
shine down on me, happy feeling, shine down on me, energy [x2]
shine down on me [x4], would you shine down?

(* not included on "New Toy" EP version)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Sister Video"

Music and lyrics by Jimmie O'Neill.

I get the picture, action in mind's eye, I get the picture, lights that fight and kill and die
[chorus] sister video, sister video, love you, love your movie movie world
I get the picture, sight and sound, action now, I get the picture, a little Mr. Nippon know how
[chorus], love you, love your movie movie world
I get the picture, action in my mind's eye, I get the picture, lights that laugh and love and shine
[chorus], love you, love your movie movie world [x2]
sister video [x6]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Maria"

little Maria, good as gold, always doing what she's told, so sweet, obediant, and no-one want to see her suffering
hey Maria, one day, Maria
nice Maria works so hard, everyone is very proud, what a heavy load she's carrying, and no-one want to know her suffering
(Maria, hey Maria), wake up, Maria
bad Maria's talking back, (ah, shit!), making everybody mad, mad mad mad mad, she wants to see equality, same for them, same for me
(hey Maria), hey Maria, hey Maria, maybe, Maria, today, Maria
Maria, good luck!

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Savages"

album version

lights go out, nobody knows what it's all about, scared of air, we gulp and run, got to get away from the burning front
savvay
hotfoot out the underground, nobody lives in the dark for long, it's time to do what must be done, one for all and all for one
radio boys and radio girls tune into this radio world
savvay
radio boys and radio girls tune into this radio world
what say, what say you savages today? [x2]
savvay [x4], sava-sava-sava-hey-hey-hey-hey, sava-hey-hey-hey, sava-sava-hey


EP version (released on "New Toy" EP)

(one, two, three, four)
sava-sava-sava, (we're running running), I'm scared scared, air air, gulp run gulp run, got to get a- get away-ay-ay
savvay savvay
(bye bye bye bye, safe safe safe*), can't can't can't, (why why why?), in the dark dark dark, I say!
savvay savvay
radio boys and radio girls tune into this radio world
savvay savvay
what say what say, what say what say, what say you savages today? [x2], savvay [x13], sava-sava-hey [x3]

(* or "save" ?)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Rocky Road"

one badly beaten body, one broken soul, in search of sanctuary, long way to go
[chorus] there's a land I've seen in a dream, the home of the brave and free, where peace of mind is easy to find, forever guaranteed
too many useless martyrs suffer in vain, too many greedy brothers cheating the game
this rocky road is twisted, so many lose their way, the bitter wind is whistling, confusion reigns
[chorus]
I see the distant glory, I feel the shaky ground, a thousand voices raise a welcome sound

________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________


poem by Lene, printed on album's rear cover


No Man's Land

There's a wall between us - dividing feelings
Confusing meanings
Keeping us ignorant - pseudo safe
Bottled emotions
Breakable jam jars of hate
Ready for action - poised to attack
Should any trespass
Our forbidden zones
But there's a place between the wall and us
A no-man's-land of love and trust
An open space - long forgot
Respect for all
Uncorrupt
Where honesty can still survive
Fresh face smiles
And friendly eyes
So I accept you - if you accept me
At least agree we both exist
And maybe when the wounds have healed
When the pain no longer rips
You might see me
Like a flickering flame
Waving to you
Thru the crack in the wall










No comments:

Post a Comment