September 21, 2020

"Shadows and Dust" lyrics

Except where noted, all lyrics by Lene Lovich (music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; all saxophone lines by Lene Lovich).

"Ghost Story"
"Sanctuary"
"Shapeshifter" - album version; single mixes
"Remember"
"Gothica"
"Craze"
"The Insect Eater"
"Little Rivers"
"The Wicked Witch" - "Shadows and Dust" recording; Latz versions
"Light"


"Ghost Story"

through a mirror shattered I see someone who looks something like me, like me like me
sudden silence, altered state, losing touch, isolate
let the fragments of the soul come together [x2]
you're dead, they said, how can that be? does my heart beat? am I just a memory?
cold confusion, no escape, broken spirit, re-create
the ghost in me speaks to the ghost in you, the story lives and every word is true, the ghost in me speaks to the ghost in you
if I could see the light, I could be the light
let the fragments of the soul come together [x2], don't be afraid
the ghost in me speaks to the ghost in you, the story lives and every word is true, don't be afraid, the ghost in me speaks to the ghost in you

(See "Other lyrics" page for intro story "Little Margaret" (from the song's first live performance).)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Sanctuary"

sanctuary
run, run away, don't look back, run to a place where it's safe to be, sanctuary
your wounds are deep, you cannot sleep, the overwhelming pain beneath, the twisted soul keeps saying you're the victim, it's getting tough, you've had enough, why can't it be the way you want, now everything is going out of order
run, run away, don't look back, run to a place where it's safe to be, sanctuary
so sad inside, you wanna die, but it's a hollow sacrifice, the bitter ending to a tragic story
sanctuary
nobody's perfect in this imperfect world, if the message is important, let the message be heard, if the mission is impossible, do your best to survive, we can fight again tomorrow
sanctuary
a change of scene is what you need, somewhere to mend your broken dreams, let's hide away until the war is over, let's deviate, open the gate, release the pressure on the brain, you know it doesn't matter
run away, sanctuary [x3]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Shapeshifter"

Music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell, original loop by Max & Simo (Comical Brothers); lyrics by Lene Lovich.

album version

shapeshifter
how would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind? would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind?
I could be you and you could be me, we could understand the reasons why we be the way we be, if I could be you (I could be you) and you could be me we could understand, (I could be you, you could be me)
how would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind? satisfy your curiosity, how do you know you don't want to be me? ah ee ah ee, (I could be you, you could be me), ah ee ah ee
let's take a holiday into an unknown territory, let's take a holiday into an unknown identity
I could be you, be you, I'm tired of the game that we always play, the same old game every night and day, I could be you, be you, this life is done, the time has come (you could be me) to shift into another one, ah ee ah ee, (I could be you), ah ee ah ee, (I could be you, you could be me)
I could be you and you could be me, we could understand the reasons why we be the way we be, if I could be you (I could be you) and you could be me, we could understand
let's take a holiday into an unknow territory, let's take a holiday into an unknown identity
ah ee ah ee, (I could be you), ah ee ah ee, (you could be me), shapeshifter
maybe there's a way we can share a synchronicity
shapeshifter, shapeshifter, if I could be you and you could be me, we could understand, (I could be you, you could be me), we could understand the reasons why we be the way we be, how would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind?


Comicals Mix (mixed by Comical Brothers)

go!
listen, shapeshifter, come with me into an unknown territory, shapeshifter
listen to me, listen [x3], shapeshifter, listen to me, shapeshifter
I, I, I, I'm tired of the game
listen to me, shapeshifter
reality, listen to me, a new reality, shapeshifter, you could be me
I'm tired of the game


I Could Be You Mix (mixed by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell)

shapeshifter
how would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind? would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind?
shapeshifter, (I could be you), interesting
(I could be you, I could be you, you could be me), ah ee ah ee [x2]
let's take a holiday into an unknown territory
I could be you, you could be me, (I could be you, you could be me), ah ee ah ee [x2]
how would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind? would you like to spend some time inside somebody else's mind?
shapeshifter, (I could be you), shapeshifter, ah ee ah ee [x4], (I could be you, you could be me)
would you like to spend some time, how would you like to spend some time, inside someboy else's mind?

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Remember"

in the rush of the crowd on the steps leading out to the market place, where two lovers could meet hidden deep by the swell of the mob, we agreed to dissolve, disappear, to risk all for the sake of love, I only know you didn't show
remember, life goes on
"no-one's in," said the monstrous grin through the crack in the frozen door, from the hall I could hear the familiar song that was ours, then laughter rang out and the sound cut me down like an avalanche, I only know I lost control
remember
[chorus] life goes on and circumstances change, we live and learn 'til time runs up, and given chance we two will meet again to play once more the game of love
days go by in empty isolation, cold, immobile like a stone, I wait submerged 'til some familiar presence stirs, my static world begins to race, I look up and see your face
eye to eye we perceive something more than a casual interest, there's a feeling inside that our hearts cannot easy deny, so we stop and we stare as our memories gallop the centuries, I only know I love you so
remember
[chorus]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Gothica"

(gothica [x3])
in a forest dark and deep, night has fallen, but I'm too afraid, too afraid to sleep, I close my eyes and then I see the light come shining down
gothica
in a house upon a hill, something stirring on the stairway disturbs my senses, still I take the candle and I climb, the stairs begin to shake
gothica
[chorus] everybody needs a refuge from the ordinary, everybody needs to breathe, it's a necessary dip into the unknown ocean, it's essential fantasy
(gothica [x2])
it's a place I cannot see, only sometimes, when I recollect my dreams
(gothica [x3])
in a howling hurricane, hidden by a rock I shelter from the storm, the driving rain pounds a message in my ear, I have nothing more to fear, and the stranger at the gate seems to know my name
[chorus], it's a necessary dip into unknown ocean, it's essential fantasy

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Craze"

I'm aware of something buzzing in the air, rash ideas, nothing but a fad, it's nothing serious they say, just a passing phase
craze, new craze [x2]
I'm aware of everyday insanity on someone's street, nevermind the madness, it's not happening right here, just ignore the heat
craze, new craze [x2]
[chorus] tear away the skin, the danger lurks inside, take another look, we wear a thin disguise
craze, new craze
I'm aware of gathering infection, a slow disease, we don't feel the pain, but we are hurting anyway, it's a deadly game
craze, new craze
[chorus], and everything we see is of our own design
craze, new craze [x2], new craze

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"The Insect Eater"

Music by Heathcote Williams, Julian Standen, Max Reinsch, with musical adaption by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; lyrics by Heathcote Williams.

earwigs in my fridge at midnight put me in a dancing mood (earwigs) [x2], earwigs in my fridge at midnight put me in a dancing mood
I climb up to the window sill and watch the neighbours in the nude, voyeuristis, cataclysmis! they think I'm frightfully rude
then, my master's voice comes through, "Renfield, where are you? whatever I say you must do"
sallow girls drained of blood, he leaves them in his trail, 'tis my job for him to find victims, victims to assail
"London is my larder. Renfield, please try harder"
earwigs in my fridge at midnight put me in a dancing mood (earwigs) [x2], earwigs in my fridge at midnight put me in a dancing mood
I'm bouncing down the high street now, shopping for new clothes, I buy a pair of gothic shoes, showing off my toes, once more down Oxford Street, I shop for a Mac and fries, looking for a toothsome girl to soften with my lies
I hear the master calling me, "that one, with big brown eyes and creamy, luscious, juicy thighs, come into my parlour," said the spider to the fly, "let me sink my teeth into your neck, it'll make you feel so high"
he throws his cape around her, a hiss and a suck and a hiss, then Dracula releases her, another pallid gothic miss, as he wipes the blood from off his lips he says with a simpering purr; "that look of rigor mortis will soon be de rigeur"
"Renfield, you just gave me an exquisite surprise, so eat your fill of bedbug soup and ladybirds and flies, cockroaches and millipedes and a million spider's eyes"
earwigs in my fridge at midnight put me in a dancing mood (earwigs) [x2], earwigs in my fridge at midnight put me in a dancing mood, but it's not my night for insects, what's required is human food

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Little Rivers"

not a cloud in the sky, no clouds, not a cloud in the sky, warm thoughts and sunny smiles, it's a wonderful life, bright enough for you and I
but somehow, somehow we lost the light, isn't it strange, isn't it, isn't it strange? the weather's changed
red rose, I cry little rivers inside, can you read my mind? red rose, I cry little rivers inside, 'cause I can't explain, it's a crying shame
we're two of a kind, we are, we're two of a kind, in shock we don't revive, well maybe you're right, what's dead deserved to die
but somehow, somehow we should have tried, tried to believe in life, isn't it strange, isn't it? isn't it strange? the colours fade
red rose, I cry little rivers inside, can you read my mind? red rose, I cry, red rose, I cry little rivers inside, can you read my mind, red rose, I cry, red rose, I cry little rivers inside, can you read my mind? 'cause I can't explain, it's a crying shame, it's a crying shame, it's a crying shame, it's a crying shame, can we start again?

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"The Wicked Witch"

Music by Michael Bulgrin and Achim Mennicken (Latz), with "additional construction" by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; song title by Latz (inspired by "The Wizard of Oz"), lyrics by Lene Lovich.
 
(the wicked witch)
[chorus] oh, oh, the wicked witch, what a wicked thing she is, hey-oh, better run [x2], look out now 'cause here she comes
welcome to my world
(take care, beware [x2])
devastating seeds I know, dancing demons I control, horror scenes that spike your sleep are just a little part of me, endless, dreadful, freaky vibes terrorize your feeble minds
[chorus], antithesis, apocalypse
(her wish is your command)
(take care, beware)
run, run, but you cannot hide, none could escape (the wicked witch)
[chorus], antithesis, apocalypse
(her wish is your command)
(take care, beware)
evil entities I know freeze the heart and eat the soul, morbid tears will not suffice, I'll do more than make you cry, endless, dreadful, freaky vibes terrorize your feeble minds
[chorus], antithesis, apocalypse, ah wicked, wicked witch


Latz versions

the spell is spoken, the curse is cast, one by one my deadly charms advance, all that I desire shall come to pass, none could escape the shadowmaker, never in your wildest dreams have you experienced the likes of me
(the wicked witch)*
oh, oh, the wicked witch, what a wicked thing she is, hey-oh, better run [x2], look out now 'cause here she comes
(for a few dollars you can, you can hire a woman)**
welcome to my world
(take care, beware)
devastating seeds I know, dancing demons I control, horror scenes that spike your sleep are just a little part of me, endless, dreadful, freaky vibes terrorize your feeble minds, antithesis, apocalypse
(for a, for a few dollars you can hire a woman)**
(her wish is your command)
oh, oh, the wicked witch, what a wicked thing she is, hey-oh, better run [x2], look out now 'cause here she comes, [Monitor Mix: antithesis, apocalypse]
(her wish is your command)
(take care, beware)
evil entities I know freeze the heart and eat the soul, morbid tears will not suffice, I'll do more than make you cry, endless dreadful, freaky vibes terrorize your feeble minds
[album mix: (hey-oh), hey-oh, better run], oh, oh, the wicked witch, what a wicked thing she is, hey-oh, better run [Monitor Mix: x2] [album mix: x3], look out now 'cause here she comes, antithesis, apocalypse, ah wicked, wicked witch

(* sampled from movie "The Wizard of Oz" (1939))
(** spoken by actress Beverly Garland, sampled from movie "It Conquered the World" (1956))

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Light"

in the dark there is light [x3], there is light
in the midst of the dark there is light, forget the dread that preys on your mind, a special friend will you defend, who is always on your side
in your deepest despair it's all right, a helping hand will hold back the fright, one hope in hell to break the spell, who could save you from yourself, save you from yourself
light, there is light [x2]
there is light
in a dangerous world we abide, confusion clouds the wrong and the right, and you I fear might disappear, lost and lonely in the night, lonely in the night
light, there is light [x2]
out of sight but you're not out of mind, concern for you cannot be denied, when shadows fall I heed the call, now our destinies entwine, our destinies entwine
out of love comes a good cause to fight, the vow to stand by you never dies, so take my hand and we shall dance, dance until the end of time, until the end of time
light, there is light [x4], light










No comments:

Post a Comment