September 22, 2020

Other lyrics

Except where noted, all lyrics by Lene Lovich (music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; all saxophone and trumpet lines by Lene Lovich).

"Be Stiff" - studio recording; live recording
"One Lonely Heart"
"The Fall"
"Picnic Boy" (Residents song with Lene on vocals)
"New Toy"
"Never Never Land"
"Details"
"Blue Hotel" (single recording)
"Blue"
"O Seasons O Castles"
"Breaking the Rules"
"Don't Kill the Animals" - Rescue Version - album mix; Rescue Version - video mix; single recording
"Supernature"
"Rage" (with Erasure)
"Moustache"
"Little Margaret" (intro for "Ghost Story")
"Alpha Girls"



"Be Stiff"

Music by Bob Lewis; song title by Bob Lewis, lyrics by Gerald Casale.

studio recording

(be stiff [x6])
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, fruit ooze is wetly lewd, so stay dry in rubber boots and be stiff, cucumbers ripe and rude, bend over fixed to shoot and be stiff
[chorus] breathe hard in metal suits now, live right, make lots of loot and be stiff
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, wet women waste your food, go solo, no, no twos and be stiff, watch out for fruits and mutes, deep sleepers jerk the root, so be stiff
[chorus]
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, fruit ooze is wetly lewd, so stay dry in rubber boots and be stiff, wet women waste your food, go solo, no, no twos and be stiff
[chorus]


live recording (released on "Be Stiff" six-track 12" EP)

Lyrics by ???

be stiff [x11]
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, we stick them in the groove, we stick, now you can't lose, so be stiff, we stick them in the groove, accept no substitutes and be stiff
[chorus] breathe hard in metal suits now, live right, make lots of loot and be stiff
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, we stick them in the groove, accept no substitutes and be stiff (be stiff), we stick them in the groove, accept no substitutes and be stiff
[chorus]
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, we stick them really cool, we stick, now you can't lose, so be stiff 
we stick them in the groove, we stick them, and be stiff
[chorus]
be stiff [x14]
be stiff, b-abies be stiff, we stick them in the groove, accept no substitutes and be stiff, we stick them really cool, we stick, now you can't lose, so be stiff
[chorus]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"One Lonely Heart"

[chorus] one lonely heart, tired of being apart seeks company, one lonely heart, trying to make a new start seeks sympathy
all I'm asking for is a chance to be happy like before, once the sun would shine, huh, but now it seems my world is cold
[chorus]
all I'm looking for is a light at the end of the road, somewhere to call home and a key, a key that fits the door
[chorus]
ah, those eyes, yes, you have those eyes, and that smile, I've been here so long, are you the one?
all I'm waiting* for is a sign, the time goes by so slow, some small hope in sight warms my soul, it won't be long, I know

(* "all I'm looking for" on the studio version; this might have been a slip of attention at the recording session, since Lene sings "waiting" on all live performances of this song)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"The Fall"

Music and lyrics by Judge Smith.

rumours arrived as they sat at the feast, of the army that comes from the east burning each village and farm, the temple bell sounds the alarm
invasion [x3], look out, it's happening right now, knock on the door in the night now
fires on the hillside surrounding the town, fires and night coming down like a blanket, and fear at the gate, and there's nothing to do but wait
danger [x3], oh, oh, look out, it's happening right now, knock on the door in the night now
blood on the paving stones, blood on the walls, as the city of wisdom falls, conquering squadrons march in with banners the colour of sin
darkness [x3], oh, look out, it's happening right now, knock on the door in the night now
look out, it's happening right now, knock on the door in the night now
some old men grab all the books that are in sight, then escape into the night, carrying their truth far away, you can see them still running today
freedom [x3], oh, oh, look out, it's happening right now, knock on the door in the night now, look out, it's happening right now, knock on the door in the night now

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Picnic Boy" (released on The Residents' "Commercial Album")

Music and lyrics by The Residents.

she called my friend a picnic boy, I never could stand that
oh, she called my friend a picnic boy and said he was too fat, fat
I left her in the early morning, looking at the rain I found I could not take the pressure, so I took the train

(all vocals by Lene (uncredited))

________________________________________________________________________________________________


 "New Toy"

Music and lyrics by Thomas Dolby.

did I ask you for your love? did I ask you for your dedication? I don't want, I don't want your love, I don't want, I don't want your affection
but I got to have the car (I need it for the weekend), I got to have the stereo (and a couple of deletions), I got to have the freezer (put some fun back in my eating), I got to have it all until I'm complete
I want a new toy (oh-ay-oh) to keep my head expanding (ta), I want a new toy (oh-ay-oh), but nothing too demanding (ta), then when everything isn't roses, when everything is static (ta), me and my new toy (oh-ay-oh), you find us in the attic
you, sometimes you make me feel, I feel so insecure, sometimes you make me feel nothing at all
I'm sick of the TV (well look at the news), I'm sick of the radio (but what can you do?), I'm sick of the hoover (but I need to vacuum), I'm sick of it all, so what can I do?
I get a new toy to keep my head expanding (ta), I get a new toy, but nothing too demanding (ta), then when everything isn't roses, you don't get any headroom (ta), me and my new toy, you find us in the bedroom, yeah
you - who? - you must - must? - you must want - huh - what do you want? you, you must, you must want, what do you want? you - who? - must, you must want, what do you want, do you want, do you want?
(new toy), new toy, (new toy, oh-ay-oh, new toy), ooh, new toy, (new toy), oh-ay-oh, (oh-ay-oh, new toy, new toy, oh-ay-oh), (new toy), new toy, new toy, a new toy*, (new toy, oh-ay-oh), wonderful, (new toy, oh-ay-oh, new toy, new toy)

(* or "brand new toy" ?)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Never Never Land"

Music and lyrics by Jimmie O'Neill.

in Never Never Land, you and me, in Never Never Land we'll always be, in Never Never Land, there's no such place, there never was, we just made believe there was because
in Never Never Land we have no fear, in Never Never Land, the coast is clear, in Never Never Land the present tense makes perfect sense and all our ends are happy endings
in Never Never Land we'll fade away, in Never Never Land no day today, in Never Never Land impossible is possible, there's no such thing as fantasy
[chorus] in Never Never Land I try to reach you, in Never Never Land I try to reach you to make contact, you're not aware of me, no you're not interested, you're not aware of me, you're in a different world
(Never Never Land [x2])
[chorus]
in Never Never Land, you and me, in Never Never Land we'll always be, in Never Never Land, there's no such place, there never was, we just made believe there was because
(Never Never Land)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Details"

little we can say feeling so afraid, inside out again, oh what a silly game we play, roundabout we go, viciously in circles, must we do what we are told?
oh what about the details, all the little details*, oh what (what)
so many details, so many details, what can I do, there are so many details**
details of freedom constantly out of reach, where are the details, where is the place for me
little do we know, how far can we go, some of us are broken, others seem to overcome, let your mettle show now, you could be a hero, suddenly you're on your own, alone
oh what about the details, all the little details*, oh what
so many details, so many details, what can I do, there are so many details**
details of freedom constantly out of reach, where are the details, where is the place for me
little we will find if we close our mind, bottled up inside us there's a lot to iron out, in the light of day we might be much wiser, take the chance and break away
oh what about the details, all the little details*
where are the details, where is the place for me

(* first version (released on "Riding High" soundtrack album and on Japenese six-track 12" EP "New Toy" (not related to actual "New Toy" EP)): "every little detail")
(** first version only; words hardly discernible but they are correct, since they can be heard clearly on recordings of 1980 live performances)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Blue Hotel" (single recording)

Music and original lyrics by Mauro Goldsand, with musical adaption by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; lyrics by Lene Lovich (almost unrelated to original lyrics; see upcoming song details page for original lyrics).

hello
high in the skies someone waving, I feel the vibe penetrate, senses stimulate my mind
far, far away someone calling, I hear the sound resonate, voices fascinate my mind, hello, hello
[chorus] I'm living, I'm living in a big hotel, I'm living, I'm living in a blue hotel and I'm waiting, I'm waiting there for you at the Hotel Blue [x2]
out of the dark someone shining, I see the light radiate, power activates my mind, hello, hello
[chorus]
hello
out of the chaos one heart beating, I know that life will survive, spirits never ever die
[chorus], I'm living, living in a big hotel, I'm living, living in a blue hotel and I'm waiting there for you at the Hotel Blue

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Blue"

you lost me, I lost you, losing things* can make you blue, I smile, I laugh, I try, quite alright, but deep inside, ooh
you hurt me, I hurt you, win or lose, both get bruised, why ignore the truth, I need to say I'm feeling bad, are you blue?
[chorus] azure, baby, powder, pale, aquamarine, electric, sharp, sea, bright, sky, midnight, royal, navy, ice, teal, light
oh blue, I'm blue, so blue
blue blue blue blue, blue blue, blue blue blue blue, blue
you'll make me, I'll make you, one and one, so complete, I wish we could see the colours that we used to be, this hue is blue
azure, baby, powder, pale, electric, midnight
[chorus]
oh blue, I'm blue, so blue
blue [x3]

(* or "losing face" ?)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"O Seasons O Castles"

Music by Lene Lovich and Les Chappell; song title adapted from title of French poem by Arthur Rimbaud ("O saisons, o chateaux"; 1872), lyrics by Lene Lovich (unrelated to Rimbaud's poem).

o seasons, where live begins, captive spirits cry to be released into this world, their special souls to find
if I survive, call me love, love
o castles, where dreams are made, hungry spirits fly to feed upon fresh inspiration, what vision do we see, what shining truth revealed
if I survive, call me free

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Breaking the Rules"

Music and lyrics by Jonathan Elias.

what do you do when opposites attract [x3], what do you do
what can you do when your worlds collide, take a ch-ch-chance, forget about the past, right on, see a new sensation, beat, beat, beat, beat the hesitation
oh, oh, gonna break the rules, oh, oh, gonna break the rules, wer'e gonna breeak the rules tonight with our possibilities, possibilities, possibilities
what should you do when tension snaps, when the games we play are getting much too fast, right on, see a new sensation, beat, beat, beat, beat the hesitation
oh, oh, gonna break the rules, oh, oh, gonna break the rules, we're gonna break the rules tonight with our possibilities, possibilities, possibilities
oh, oh, gonna break the rules, oh, oh, gonna change the rules, oh, oh, gonna take a chance with our possibilities, possibilities, possibilities
what do you do when opposites attract, like it or not, it's a natural reaction, right on, see a new sensation, beat, beat, beat, beat the hesitation
oh, oh, gonna break the rules, oh, oh gonna break the rules, we're going to break the rules tonight with our possibilities, possibilities, possibilities
what do you do when opposites attract [x5], opposites attract [x2]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Don't Kill the Animals"

Music by Karl Rucker; song title by Nina Hagen, lyrics by Lene Lovich and Nina Hagen.

Rescue Version - album mix

L: ah hello, hello, this is No One calling No Name, No One calling No Name - N: I read you, No Name reading No One, No Name reading No One - L: ok, you know why we're here tonight, don't you? - N: sure, have you heard what they're doing to those poor animals? - L: yes, it's horrible and someone should do something about that - N: yeah, someone should and that someone is us and tonight's the night - L: alright, (alright), let's be careful - N: which way do we go? - L: this way, I see the laboratory door - N: oh, what's that funny smell? - L: I don't know - shh, someone's coming - ok, it's all clear now, let's go - N: right, I'm gonna open the door
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x4]
we all want to see through life's mystery, the quest for knowledge is a natural activity, but science be careful, science be kind, you can't go on pretending to be blind, those animal experiments don't make sense, you're getting nowhere with cruelty and death, I say ignorance was some excuse, but uh-uh not now, you see we've got the proof, a-a-a-animal testing is a dangerous game, all systems are different, we're not the same, it's a terrible risk, so no surprise we get wrong results, hey what about thalidomide? abuse yourself of your own free will, live dangerously and make yourself ill, get hurt, get high, get in distress, but don't drag the animals into this mess
L: I think you could say we had success tonight - N: full beam! (Brigitte Bardot*)'s taking the dogs and I keep the monkey - L: we should have done this a long time ago - N: oh we gotta do it again, how about you?
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x4]
no more torture, the animals are free, the same with messing round with atomic energy, hey hey doctor, reincarnation, would you like to come back as a laboratory rat? the human brain is our mental perception and with amazing grace you lighten up your pretty face, if we want to avoid this endless human riot, why don't we start by changing our diet? life is for living, the animals agree, if they were meant to be eaten they'd be growing on trees, so no more torture of our furry friends in the name of food or scientific ends, the pressure is on, make your decision, be vegetarian, be anti-vivisection
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x5]
all our scientists are messing up, they don't succeed, let the psychics tell what the spirits think we need, our super friends from other planets want to give advice, but the money-orientated business doesn't think that's nice, come on, let's educate the mutated human race by the super power of amazing grace, the missing link of human evolution is sexuality, it needs a spiritual revolution, my individual god identity is what you're gonna meet, it's the rhythm of the beat
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x9], don't!


Rescue Version - video mix

are you ready to rescue the animals tonight?
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x3]
L: ah hello, hello, this is No One calling No Name, No One calling No Name - N: I read you, No Name reading No One, No Name reading No One - L: ok, you know why we're here tonight, don't you? - N: sure, have you heard what they're doing to those poor animals? - L: yes, it's horrible and someone should do something about that  - N: yeah, someone should and that someone is us and tonight's the night - L: alright - N: which way do we go? - N: I think our best bet is going through the side door - L: I have to get there - shh, someone's coming - ok, it's all clear now, let's go - N: right, I'm gonna open the door - L: push!
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x3]
we all want to see through life's mystery, the quest for knowledge is a natural activity, but science be careful, science be kind, you can't go on pretending to be blind, those animal experiments don't make sense, you're getting nowhere with cruelty and death, I say ignorance was some excuse, but uh-uh not now, you see we've got the proof, a-a-a-animal testing is a dangerous game, all systems are different, we're not the same, hey hey doctor, reincarnation, would you like to come back as a laboratory rat? abuse yourself of your own free will, live dangerously and make yourself ill, get hurt, get high, get in distress, but don't drag the animals into this mess
L: I think you could say we had success tonight - N: full beam! (Brigitte Bardot*)'s taking the dogs and I keep the monkey - L: we should have done this a long time ago - N: oh we gotta do it again, how about you?
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x4]
love and peace and light and life, what you gonna do with your butcher's knife? life is for living, the animals agree, if they were meant to be eaten they'd be growing on trees, if we want to avoid this endless human riot, why don't we start by changing our diet? my dinner parties are famous, man, and if you come by, you're gonna be my biggest fan, my tofu hot dogs and my Sauerkraut are the future food for the astronaut, by the way, you'll eat my veggie steak and my eggless cake, you'll get off your feet, it's the rhythm of the beat
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x4]
all our scientists are messing up, they don't succeed, let the psychics tell what the spirits think we need, our super friends from other planets want to give advice, but the money-orientated business doesn't think that's nice, come on, let's educate the mutated human race by the super power of amazing grace, no more torture of our furry friends in the name of food or scientific ends, the pressure is on, make your decision, be vegetarian, be anti-vivisection
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x7], don't!

(* Actress Brigitte Bardot's name in brackets, because she's a horrible being. At the time of writing the song it was not known that she's not only an animal rights activist, but also right-wing and anti-social. This part of the lyrics was very likely written by Nina Hagen, as Lene never mentions any names in her own lyrics.)


Disco Version (from 12" single a-side)

don't! [x7]
we all want to see through life's mystery, the quest for knowledge is a natural activity, but science be careful, science be kind, you can't go on pretending to be blind, those animal experiments don't make sense, you're getting nowhere with cruelty and death, I say ignorance was some excuse, but uh-uh not now, you see we've got the proof, a-a-a-animal testing is a dangerous game, all systems are different and we're not the same, it's a terrible risk, so no surprise we get wrong results, hey what about thalidomide? abuse yourself of your own free will, live dangerously and make yourself ill, get hurt, get high, get in distress, but don't drag the animals into this mess
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x4]
no more torture, the animals are free, the same with messing round with atomic energy, hey hey doctor, reincarnation, would you like to come back as a laboratory rat? here we are coiled like a sleeping snake, we gotta expand our potential, for God's sake, if we want to avoid this endless human riot, why don't we start by changing our diet? life is for living, the animals agree, if they were meant to be eaten, they'd be growing on trees, so no more torture of our furry friends in the name of food or scientific ends, the pressure is on, make your decision, be vegetarian, be anti-vivisection
all our scientists are messing up, they don't succeed, let the psychics say what the spirits think we need, our super friends from other planets want to give advice, but the money-orientated business doesn't think that's nice, come on, let's educate the mutated human race by the super power of amazing grace, the missing link of human evolution is sexuality, it needs a spiritual revolution, my individual god identity is what you're gonna meet, it's the rhythm of the beat
don't! [x5]
don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x2], töte die Tiere nicht, töte die Tiere nicht, die Tiere, die sind frei, don't kill the animals, don't kill the animals, the animals are free [x2]


1989 (or early 1990) recording (released in 1991 on "Tame Yourself" and "Tame Yourself - The Housebroken Dance Mixes") not included separately, as it is a production team recording without input from the original artists. The vocals for this were taken from the original recording (Rescue Version album and video mixes).

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Supernature"

Music by Jean-Marc Cerrone and Alain Wisniak; lyrics by Lene Lovich.

once upon a time science opened up the door, we would feed the hungry fields 'til they could not eat no more, but the potions that we made touched the creatures down below and they grew up in a way that we'd never seen before
supernature [x4]
they were angry with the man 'cause he changed their way of life, and they take their sweet revenge as they trample through the night, for a hundred miles or more you can hear the people cry, but there's nothing you can do, even God is on their side
supernature [x4]
how can I explain, things are different today, darkness all around and nobody makes a sound, such a sad affair, no-one seems to care
supernature [x4]
better watch out, there's no way to stop it now, you can't escape, it's too late, look what you've done, there's no place that you can run, the monster's made, we must pay
maybe nature has a plan to control the ways of man, he must start from scratch again, many battles he must win, 'til he earns his place on Earth like the other creatures do, will there be a happy end? now that all depends on you
supernature [x6]

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Rage" (with Erasure)

let's face the music, I think that it's time, what's the use when the future looks so unkind, life and death, the choice we make, revolution - the line my mind takes, oh, win or lose, hey what do you say, gotta ch...ch...ch... change, check it out and see, there could be a better lifestyle, my hopes are big as the sky, my dreams are wider than wide, one day we'll be absolutely cruelty-free
look through the window, see what I see, I just can't believe what is happening here, the innocent die, the guilty survive, no more excuses, alive is alive*
[chorus] march on, unleash the spirit, rise above all fear into the light, it's a world affair, don't waste a minute, let your heart decide, it's time to care
what is this sad fascination, to rip off another's skin, shame, shame, shame, fancy people in fur coats, what a pitiful sight, leather is dead, it's not so nice
[chorus]
stop! think before you chew, don't eat a creature that won't eat you, food for everyone, let's all eat, it's so much fun, let that chicken be, a cow is not a factory, fast food slaughter's a criminal waste, we gotta tune ourselves into a new morality, make some improvement on the human race
conquer hunger with crops we grow, nobody else will have to die*
rage, each time I turn around, rage, it tears my heart apart, rage, each time I see the blood, hey now, sentimental feelings are just not good enough
man's evolution is ready to rise, let's stop the killing and reach for the sky [Vitamitavegemix]
hey, hey, hey, feel the rage [Vitamitavegemix]
march on, unleash the spirit, rise above all fear, it's time to care, [chorus], march on, unleash the spirit, rise above all fear, it's time to care

(* Vitamitavegemix only)

"Rage" (Vitamitavegemix) (released on "Tame Yourself - The Housebroken Dance Mixes", along with "Rage" (Dub) not included separately, as it is a production team recording without input from the original artists. Additional lyrics for Vitamitavegemix included above.

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Moustache" (performed live 1998 to late 2000s; see upcoming song details page)

Mr Salvador Dalí says, "if you want to be successful, if you want to be famous, if you want to be very, very rich, you must wear tight clothes"
moustache
Mr Salvador Dalí says, "if you want people to take you seriously, you must carry a big stick"
moustache
Mr Salvador Dalí once said something to me (which I took as a compliment*), "Lene, your plaits are your
moustache"

(* Brighton concert, May 1998)

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Little Margaret" (spoken-word intro for the first live performance of "Ghost Story" (New York concert, 31 Oct 2003), accompanied by Les Chappell on synthesizer)

Traditional story, layout of words (probably) by Lene.

Little Margaret stood by the mirror, combing her long, long hair. Through the window she could see the man she loved riding by with his new bride. Little Margaret threw down the comb. "I'll go out and see him one more time."
It was late in the night when William and his new bride were fast asleep. Little Margaret appeared, standing by the bed, all dressed in white, and William woke up suddenly, and saw... well he thought he saw Margaret, and she was so beautiful, and his heart was so full of love for her. He realised he had made a terrible mistake. He got out of bed, he got dressed, he saddled up his horse and he rode, he rode like the wind, as fast as he could to Margaret's house. And as he passed the trees, the birds woke up, and they scattered and shrieked. And soon he was at Margaret's door, and he knocked on the door, and knocked on the door, and knocked on the door, till the father answered. "I want to see Margaret", he said. Her father's face was grey. "You can't see her", he said. William couldn't wait, he went right past her father, he went right to Little Margaret's room, he opened the door, and there in the middle of the room was a table, and on the table was a cold black coffin, and inside the coffin lay Margaret, all dressed in white. And William bent over and he kissed her, but her lips were cold.

________________________________________________________________________________________________


"Alpha Girls" (see non-album tracks overview)

it's not a dream, it's a reality, we can be what we want but we got to believe it, let the power excite, if we sleep we will not, we can shake it and shout, we can try to release it
Alpha Girls all over the world, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win
wake up and see that the sky isn't falling, there's so much to do, creativity's calling, if one day is not good, the other one is, it's not good to get hurt but we've got to begin
gone maybe, but never out, don't give up, use what you've got
Alpha Girls all over the world, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win
we know it isn't easy, but we know it can be done, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win
oh, your energy's low, you gotta be strong to get up and go, go!
the scene isn't set, it's the way that you see it, you're aiming too high, but you're going to achieve it
Alpha Girls all over the world, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win
they say that it's all over, but we say it's just begun, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win
we know it isn't easy, but we're gonna have some fun, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win, Alpha Girls can do anything, Alpha Girls are the ones to win










No comments:

Post a Comment