May 02, 2022

Quasi-Substitute (US; 1980)

I took a number to interview Lene Lovich in the Stiff Records lounge (which is actually just a video room). It was number 8. When my number was called I was told I had 15 minutes to find out all about the unique character of Lene. There she sat in an outfit that looked like it had been bought out of the black remnant section in an old-ladies fabric store. Both she and Les (boyfriend, songwriter, guitarist) were present for the interrogation, but Les let Lene do all the talking. I refrained from asking him how much trouble it is to maintain a perfectly shaved head and, instead, asked Lene about her move from Detroit to Europe, where all her unusual careers got underway.

L: I went to Europe when I was 13. I came over to go to school. It wasn't until a bit later that I started to get involved with music... (In this period Lene sold hot dogs, became a bingo caller, sought out Salvador Dali, belly danced, and screamed for horror movies.)... I first tried to play the violin and it was very difficult, because I didn't have proper lessons. It sounds terrible when you first learn how to play, but I quite enjoyed it. Nobody else enjoyed it very much. Les tried to teach me to play the guitar, but that was no fun at all. Eventually I found the sax. I was offered a job in a theatre show but only under the condition I could play the saxophone, so I learned really quick.


Wasn't it through a sax gig you came in contact with the Stiff label?

L: It was through a DJ named Charlie Gillett. He's known Dave Robinson (Stiff founder) for quite some time. I originally went to Charlie because I was looking for a job as a sax player. I was very shy about my voice at the time. People are always looking for a new Bee Gees or new Beatles. For something different it's a bit difficult at first. Charlie, for the first time, was someone that had shown interest in us. Les and I had just found enough confidence to write our own songs. I played Charlie something that we had just started. He gave us a lot of confidence and said he knew just where we should be, on the Stiff label, and he arranged for us to come and meet Dave. Dave had seen us before when we were playing with other bands. We walked in at the right time because Stiff had just lost a couple of their artists and were actually looking for artists to sign up. They left us pretty much on our own. It wasn't until we had a single out that it was a success. Stiff put out five albums on the same day. When it came around to releasing singles they wanted to make it a bit special, so first Mickey Jupp had one out, Eric had one, and then Rachel. I was the last one in line and had to wait six months. It was lucky. ("Lucky Number", to be more specific.) I don't think it could in any other country but this one (England). This country is very open-minded. When you look at the charts there's all kinds of things on them, from really stupid records to humourous ones, along with middle of the road.


How do you feel about your American market?

L: I think we're still considered very underground. We don't get any airplay. They're very conservative on the media scene. The DJs that I met would quite like to play our songs. They probably do to some extent. It's real diffcult because they think we're from another planet.


Where did you get that musical style?

L: We never really had much connection with traditional rock and roll. Our musical influences come in a roundabout way. In fact, from any conventional link, it would be more from black music - Motown, because that's what I heard mostly. The things that influenced me more were our jobs in the theatre.


Do you take the things that you did in the theatre and put them to music?

L: No, not really. I think everything that we do comes natural to us. I suppose you learn from your experiences and pick up things... but what goes in and what comes out has an effect, but sublimely, not so much calculatively.


Would that hold true for "Angels", the song about encountering the Hell's Angels while filming Cha Cha?

L: Ah yes but that song is not only about the Hell's Angels. It's for anyone that likes to live dangerously. If I'm actually singing about something that has happened to me, it's usually because... well, it's NOT because I want to re-create the history of it, but because it's in my head and it's stayed there awhile. Not the event, the reactions from the event.


You also incorporate lots of unusual vocal sounds in your songs - from the horror screaming to a nightingale. How are these brought in?

L: It's whatever's needed at the moment. It's probably because I've had no musical training, I sort of use whatever is effective at the time. I think that certain frequencies can help generate a certain atmosphere, so sometimes I sing very high, not so necessarily words, but sounds, like vowel sounds. If I think it needs some sort of penetration, then I'll put a scream in. Maybe to sing very low can help to influence the person listening and make them understand more the mood of the song.


It seems that the mood you create on the album Flex is one specific one compared to all the diversity that was on Stateless. The funk-pop-synthesized selections that were on your first album seem to have disappeared in the composition of Flex.

L: I think the problem is that we should be making more LPs. People tend to see each album as being specific... "You've changed directions." What it really means is, that we're capable of making many kinds of music. I think the more albums that we do, the more apparent that will become.


The jacket is a real interesting piece of art on the idea of movement.

L: I always hoped that people would be able to move with our music. Some songs are definitely up-tempo. And we see when we perform that certain songs make people jump up and down und others don't. It's interesting to watch from the stage how people react physically from your songs.


The idea of flex seems so flowing, whereas people are high energy in concert. It seem to be a different type of movement.

L: I think it's a different feeling from the moment that you watch it. You miss a lot because it all happens so quickly. I've always been fascinated by these nature films that watch flowers open very slowly. And watching insects move.


Did you make up any of those definitions of "flex" on the album?

L: No, they were all from the dictionary or the thesaurus. I was a bit sad that the electrical connotations of "flex" were left off. Flex also means... (looks around, picks up the cord to the cassette recorder) Like this here, it could be called a flex. It means insulated wire.


Yeah, that would put together what you were saying about the high energy dancing and the term "flex". Besides music and movement you're also doing a lot with video. Do you think music is ready for the visual media?

L: I can see very much in my mind pictures when I'm writing songs. I'd like to do about three videos for each song. What I'm frightened of is limiting a song by putting visuals to it. I like it when people come up to me and say, "Oh you know what that song's about, that's about..." and it's totally different from what I had in mind. I find it intruiging and I'd like to encourage people to use their own minds.


One thing that always comes out in a video is that you're always in a wedding dress.

L: I'm NOT always in a wedding dress. Just recently. I wanted to try a different color. I usually wear dark colors and I'd be very happy wearing dark colors, but I thought, "You should change". I'd be very happy with black but that's because the most interesting clothes I've seen happen to be black. Also I like lace a lot, but that's only because I like the different pictures, and the different textures you can build up by the layers. It's just a lot of net curtains. I suppose the fact I wear a veil makes it a wedding dress. But then I have the other extreme. I like to dress in a tailored way, like the American cover of my first album.


You said in a documentary that you feel most of the world laughs at you. Tell me how YOU see the world.

L: I just think that personal freedom is very important. It disturbs me to see young people very conservative. I like to encourage people to be creative. If the Martians ever landed here they would be freaked out totally. Just look at a tree, what kind of thing is that? The world is a very wonderful and strange place and I hope that people won't try and make it very small. I think that's actually happening in music. In the future there won't be so many superstars. There will be a lot more alternatives. I like the idea of that, it's a healthy idea.


I think that you've proved it's possible!!

L: YEAH!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment