September 27, 2019

Out (UK; 2006); TV Times Extra - Tune-in to Autumn (UK; 1979)

"1970s fashion was dull, dull, dull. The only thing I liked were the shoes - big chunky Frankenstein platforms. You could stomp around in those. But seriously, until punk came along, the best thing about fashion was that it was cheap. I totally embraced the punk look. It was do-it-yourself, just like the music. I loved the ripped-up look; I'm still wearing it, and it always freaks people out. It was like you'd just got run over by a bus. Pop was colorful and arty. David Bowie was always interesting, but punk probably had the biggest effect on me. It opened doors for a lot of people, including me. Anybody could be in a band. It was a great time for girls, misfits, and creative spirits."

(2006)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARDROBES: WEIRD AND WONDERFUL

Lovely, dizzy Lene Lovich may give the appearance of being decked out in items left behind after a jumble sale - but in fact she's fascinated by clothes.

"What I'm into right now is curtains. I buy lots of lacy ones from market stalls, dye them, wrap them round me and tie something round the waist to keep them on. Curtains have endless different patterns, you know. Comfort on stage is very important; I don't want to be restricted by what I'm wearing and I find curtains make the perfect relaxing garment. I have suitcases full of them.

"I've just started this new thing: I wear footless tights on my arms. I pull them up so they look like those long gloves women used to wear. I like to create my own style entirely and not rely on a designer. The other thing I do is swap clothes with my friends."

Lene leans back in her curtains and fiddles with her long hair: "Don't get the idea that I only wear curtains; every once in a while I find a dress or jacket I like. There's not a great deal of difference between my day-to-day clothing and my stage gear. Perhaps I elaborate a bit when I'm performing, but I'm pretty consistent in my dress."

(1979)










No comments:

Post a Comment