June 10, 2019

Illinois Entertainer (30 Dec 2005)

Hi, My Name Is Lene

IE: Your new album, Shadows And Dust, is infused with supernatural themes.

LL: We deal with the real world everyday. It gets a little tedious [laughs]. I've always been interested in unnatural and spooky things. I'm not really so much into horror for the sake of people dying and blood and gore and that sort of thing. I've always loved stories and myths and legends and anything that has a science fiction or fantasy element to it.

IE: What is the secret to the longstanding creative collaboration between you and your husband, Les Chappell?

LL: I suppose that to a great degree we like similar things and we have similar standards. We won't stop until we get it right. If one of us is losing a little bit of energy, then we have the other to say [laughs], "This isn't really right. We have to go to the next stage."

IE: One question on everyone's mind is about the more than 15-year gap between the release of March and Shadows And Dust. Did motherhood play a part in your absence?

LL: Of course, I don't know how people can do such an important job and also do other jobs. I can't see how it can be done. It also came at a time when the music business was not so much fun for me. So, it was not a difficult decision for me.

IE: As an artist and performer, to what would you attribute your longevity?

LL: I think you have to continuously excite yourself [laughs], if that doesn't sound too rude. You have to want to do it for some other reason apart from making a living. That's not been the main thing [for me]. The main thing is to create something that's never been before. To make something exciting happen.










No comments:

Post a Comment